I’m currently finishing up my PhD thesis entitled Thermodynamic modeling explains the regulation of CYP1A1 expression in the liver in the Computational Modelling in Medicine group of Prof. Dr. Nils Blüthgen. In January 2016 I will move to the Leiden Academic Center for Drug Research (LACDR) for a postdoctoral fellowship in close cooperation with AstraZeneca.
Coming from an engineering discipline, I’m interested in applying systems theory to applications in biology and pharmacology.
Schulthess, P., Löffler A., Vetter S., Kreft L., Schwarz M., Braeuning A., Blüthgen N. Signal Integration by the CYP1A1 Promoter - A Quantitative Study. Nucleic Acids Research, 43:5318–5330, 2015. PubMed
Thomas P., Durek P., Solt I., Klinger B., Witzel F., Schulthess P. , Mayer Y., Tikk D., Blüthgen N., Leser U. Computer-assisted curation of a human regulatory core network from the biological literature. Bioinformatics, 15;31(8):1258-66, 2015. PubMed
Schulthess, P. and Blüthgen, N. From Reaction Networks to Information Flows - Using Modular Response Analysis to Track Information in Signaling Networks. Methods Enzymology, 500:397-409, 2011. PubMed
03/2013 - Binding Site Cooperativity and Dual Signal Integration in CYP1A1 Induction @ 79th Annual Conference of the German Society for experimental and clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Halle (Saale), Germany
07/2012 - Cooperativity between Aryl Hydrocarbon Receptor and β-catenin Binding Sites in Hepatocytes @ 4th Conference on Systems Biology of Mammalian Cells, Leipzig, Germany
10/2010 - From Reaction Networks to Information Flow – Using Modular Response Analysis to Track Information in Signaling Networks @ 11th International Conference on Systems Biology, Edinburgh, Scotland
2010-2012 - Teaching assistant in Data analysis and numerical methods, Institute for Theoretical Biology, Humboldt University of Berlin
2002-2009 - Diploma in Engineering Cybernetics, University of Stuttgart, Germany
- Diploma Thesis: Layer-based modeling of EGF Receptor Signaling and Thermodynamic Feasibility Analysis
- Supervisors: Prof. O. Sawodny, Dr. M. Koschorreck, Institute for System Dynamics, University of Stuttgart, Germany
2006-2007 - Study of Systems Biology, University of Barcelona, Spain
- Student Thesis: Modeling and Simulation of the Mitochondrial Electron Transport Chain
- Supervisors: Dr. M. Cascante, Dr. V. Selivanov, Integrative Biochemistry and Cancer Therapy, University of Barcelona, Spain
2009 - Internship @ Computational Systems Biology Group, Bayer Technology Services GmbH, Leverkusen, Germany
- Topic: Implementation and analysis of a complex mathematical model of the photosynthesis mechanism in C3-plants
- Supervisors: Dr. J. Lippert, Dr. L. Küpfer, Dr. T. Eissing
2007 - Internship @ Insilico Biotechnology AG, Stuttgart, Germany
- Topic: Modeling of the mitochondrial respiratory chain with focus on biological feasibility by the incorporation and maintenance of publicly available databases.
- Supervisor: K. Mauch
2005-2006 - Internship @ Systems and Control Group, TAO Technologies GmbH, Stuttgart, Germany
- Topic: Development of software tests and simulations to analyze and optimize real-time hardware for components in autonomic aircrafts.
- Supervisor: Prof. Dr. B. Kröplin
Scholarships & Awards
2015 - PhD Scholarship, Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin
2010 - GENESYS Travel Award, 11th International Conference on Systems Biology, Edinburgh, Scotland
This page was last updated on October 26, 2015.